3.07.2005

Who's Weight Problem?

I just watched "Supersize Me" on Showtime tonight. It didn't exactly hit home, but it did remind me how fat my home is. Over the last 6 months, I've put on about 20 pounds. I haven't been exercising, walking, jogging or anything remotely active. That means for some one my size I have increased my body mass by 10%. If you go down to the bowling alley, you won't be able to find a 20 pound bowling ball. Now think about carrying one around with you everyday. When I was half-way in shape, my BMI was anywhere between 22 and 26%. The simple calculation for BMI now has me at 30.5, obese by definition. Looking through the CDC's website, I found that they have a state program for obesity and nutrition. Too bad that there are only 28 states that have the funding to implement the program. A state gets $800K to $1.5M to start the program up after they have built up the capacity and support, and they only get $300K to $450K a year to do that. Right now there are only 5 states that are implementation stage of this program. Fast food chains can pump out a new product worldwide, once a month. They have contests that give away millions and spend over 2 billion on advertising a year... each. Guess that let's you know where our priorities are.

No comments: