1.28.2007

How To Get Elected. Part 1

Monday - Jan 22nd
After months of discussions with my friends and family, I have decided that I would like to have my own voice in my local government. So after work, I ran down to the Wichita City Hall and went to the city clerk on the 13th floor. I filled out a few forms, wrote 2 checks, one for $10 and one for $35 and I was on the primary ballot. That's it. It took me about 15 minutes (including the snap shot the clerk took for me) and $45 to become a candidate. I walked out of city hall very proud, this is my first time running for an elected office. Even though it was 5pm, my day was just beginning. I ran home, formulating plans as I drove, and grabbed a quick bite of dinner and my school books. Monday night is Micro-Economics and it was the first day of class. The professor makes us mingle for an exercise and I use the opportunity to introduce myself as a candidate for the first time. There is an excitement in those words, every time I say them. It motivates me even more to be successful. After class, I took 5 minutes to ask the professor a few questions about her thoughts of the Wichita economy, what she says validates my months of ramblings. When I get home, I stay up til 1am studying the incumbent's record for the last 4 years and to find any information I can. The hard work is just starting.

No comments: