11.05.2006

Saturday Night or Sunday Morning

It's 6:00 on a crisp fall morning
or night is the appropriate term
staring down the full moon
on my porch steps
listening to the maple leaves
fall one by one
It's an improbable time
to be contemplating the evening
or night
that is quickly shifting to morning
The full open face mocks me
almost condescending
"Do you really think
that you said something witty
or full of meaning
something worth remembering?
You're sitting here
watching the sky shift to dawn
getting covered in leaves
that don't care where they fall"
I laugh in his face
with a wink and a smile
It doesn't matter if I did
I was there the whole while
I spoke my mind
open and honest
and had fun all the time.
It wasn't a contest.
With me... or her.
Or even you Mr. Moon
so don't smirk at me
if I sit here and swoon.
Don't laugh at me
as you run from the sun
your day is over now
but mine has just begun.

No comments: